Torrefied material has characteristics similar to sub-bituminous coals ( at low moisture)
the following tabulation of properties, gives you an idea:
- It is hydrophobic, good for long term storage without degradation of the physical properties
- It has a moisture content of below 3%
- It is easily ground or pulverised, to co-process with coal fired plants.
- The properties of the tor-material are homogenous
- It burns without smoking and is odourless since the volatiles are removed while manufactured.
- It is ideally suited for gasification and Fisher-Tropsch conversion to all kind of chemical basecomponents.
Because the tor-material burns very clean, it wil be able to reduce respiratory diseases in places such as Africa where wet wood is burnt. The Asian brown cloud may be reduced as well.